Pages

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Laundry that is more than clothes

Today I decided I was going to tackle some laundry but not just any laundry...the cloth diapers. Yes, we cloth diaper in our house and I love it. So very easy, cheap, and wonderful for my little Joy. However, the past few weeks she has had this horrible rash on her little booty that we couldn't seem to get rid of no matter what we tried. While we were gone on a trip to Utah my parent watched our kids and Joy was in disposables the entire time. Her rash healed up beautifully. Of course once I came home we started cloth diapering again and the rash came back. Yikes! I sure don't want to see my baby hurt. So...for now we went back to disposables until I could do a massive overhaul laundry day on the cloth diapers. Today was that day. I located every single piece of cloth diapering in our house and washed them with my favorite OnGuard laundry detergent. I then proceeded to dry them all outside getting a good bleach from the sun. The next step was allowing them to sit in boiling hot water for a bit, then giving them a good spin in the wash. They are now back to drying on the rack outside. Whew! That actually really did take me ALL day to do. No exaggeration.

cloth diapers soaking in boiling water
The other fun part to my laundry day was opening the dryer door this morning to pull out the clothes from last night only to find that one of my amazing hand made wool dryer balls had completely unravelled during the cycle. Oh no!!! I'm talking massive knots around all the clothes. It took me about 20 minutes to cut string, untie knots, try not to stretch out shirts, and find all the pieces of wool in the dryer. I have started with 4 dryer balls and after this escapade I am now down to 3 but one is starting to come apart so I'm afraid to put that in the dryer so really I'm down 2. Guess I will be making some dryer balls this weekend. Yay, trip to craft supply store for wool yarn. Making dryer balls is so very easy and takes very little time or money. I love putting a few drops of essential oils on the balls before they go in the dryer to give the clothes a nice scent that isn't artificial or full of toxins. Lavender, Citrus Bliss, Lemongrass, and Purify are my favorite!

just a small portion of the mess

No comments:

Post a Comment